Eye specialist, Education, Salary, Job Description
When we talk about eye check-up, everyone wants the specialist doctor for their treatment. Ophthalmologist, opticians, and optometrists all three of them play important role in eye patients life. But in their training, expertise is little different.
Who is ophthalmologist?
An ophthalmologist is an osteopathic or medical doctor, who is specialist in eyes and vision. They are M.D. to become a doctor, they complete college and 8 years of additional training [for M.D].
They have the license for medical treatment and surgery, they diagnose and treats all type of eye disease, fit eyeglasses, contact lenses for improving vision, and eye surgery. Some ophthalmologist is in a scientific research team, they research for eye disease and vision disorders.
In additional training, they do a fellowship, in this, they complete one or two years more in-depth training. They get training in sub specialty area like:-
- Plastic surgery
Who is An optometrist?
An optometrist is professional, but they are not a medical doctor. They received a degree of OD [doctor of optometry]after completing three or four years of optometry school, this is additional degree after college. They provide vision care at primary level from eyesight testing and improve them with testing, diagnosis, detecting certain eye abnormalities and changing vision.
Who is optician?
An optician is trained in fit eyeglasses, contact lenses and other techniques which correct eyesight. They only use supplements which is prescripted by an ophthalmologist and optometrists. They do not write any supplements for improvement of vision and do not test vision. They have only right to treat eye disease and diagnosis.
Ophthalmologist Degrees and Education
- First, you have to complete bachelor’s program.
- Four-year doctor of medicine [M.D].
- Three years of ophthalmology residency in the hospital.
Required Education:- Bachelor’s degree, 4-year medical school, 4 years of residency.
Common courses:– Biology, Genetics, Physics.
Other related Bachelor’s degree:- Animal science, Biochemistry or zoology.
An Ophthalmologists earn $197,700 [surgeon and physicians] if they start a career in a private clinic where they earn Rs 5000- Rs 8000 per day. [only skilled and popularity].
- Aryabhatta knowledge University- AKU [Patna, Bihar]
- BJ Medical College [Ahmedabad, Gujarat]
- Chalmeda Anand Rao Institute of Medical Science [Andhra Pradesh]
- Christian Medical College and Hospital- CMC Ludhiana
- College of Ayurved [Pune, Maharashtra]
- Datta meghe institute of medical college [Wardha, Maharashtra]
- Dr. BR Ambedkar medical college [Bangalore, Karnataka]
- Dr. G.Venkataswamy Eye Research College. [Madurai, Tamil Nadu]